Coventry UK City of Culture 2021
Home | Things to do | 3-6 Priory Row

3-6 Priory Row


The Lychgate Cottages at 3-6 Priory Row are a row of timber-framed properties dating to around 1415. It is a remarkable survival of a pre-Dissolution building at the heart of Coventry’s city centre.

The building’s location and date indicate that it originally formed part of the precinct of the 12th century St Mary’s Priory, and it is the only upstanding building which survives from the priory complex. Its close-studded timbers and jettied floor make it an evocative example of a timber-framed building of the early 15th century. The principal timbers throughout show little evidence of re-use and demonstrate that the original structure survives well. For these reasons, the building has been upgraded to listed grade II*, for its architectural and historical interest.

Records from the 16th and 17th centuries mention these as cottages, but by the 19th century the cottages were in poor condition and were acquired by the adjacent Blue Coat School in 1855 when they were restored and extended. The internal fireplaces and chimneys date from this time, as does the external stair and rear room to the east end.

These buildings now have a new lease-of-life thanks to Historic Coventry Trust, who have completed a restoration of these much-loved buildings. These have been carefully restored and fitted out as four holiday cottages – visitors will be able to have some modern luxury in these 15th-century buildings. 3-6 Priory Row are also opened for all to visit on Open Days.

Address: 3-6 Priory Row (Lychgate Cottages), Coventry, CV1 5EX